Friday, July 31, 2026

A decent busking Friday

 Last night besides photo'ing and listing stuff, I gave myself a haircut and got things ready for an early (for me) day. 

I woke up at 3 in the afternoon because I'd set my alarm clock for that time. I had time to have breakfast and clean up and put on fresh clothes, and left here a few minutes after 4. 

I dropped off donations and packages, and got over to the bank and deposited my pay check. The numbers agree and it's looking like it won't be long before I'm back up to 10 grand which is nice. Hopefully when I leave here I'll have twice that. 

I went over to the Amazon place and got a whopping one bubble mailer, then went over to Whole Foods where I got a few more. I also got two beef sticks and a can of fizzy water I ended up not drinking. 

I put $10 on my clipper card and went out to wait for the bus, which came in about 15 minutes. The whole point here is that I didn't dilly dally around, yet after leaving here at 4, I was at Whole Foods in Sunnyvale ready to start busking at 6:30 so it's really an hour and half each way. 

This is like living in Kahuku, and only being able to busk at the Koko Kai Center in Hawaii Kai. Or living in Hawaii Kai and only being able to busk at the Kahuku Sugar Mill shops. You can't go further on the island of Oahu without hopping on a plane. 

Whereas, walking from anywhere I plan to rent a room, to Waikiki to busk is about the same distance as walking from my shop here to the nearest light rail station.  

I started in, and it seemed to go slowly but this is for practice as much as anything else, so I did my best and entertained some little kids a lot which the parents appreciated (but none of them tipped) and got through it. 

It turns out I made $65 which is pretty decent for an hour and half. Most of that was made in the first hour. It would seem to be better to start there at 6, but I'm not sure how easy it will be. 

When I was done and had counted up, I walked right over to Baraka Market and got a yogurt drink and drank that at the bus stop. A collection of characters gradually built up and then the bus came and the characters gradually decreased. I got off right across from my home Whole Foods and it was 9:30. I got some things there and rode right back here and it's almost 11 as I write. So again it's a bit of a commute. 

I could not exactly settle in and just busk at my home Whole Foods as there was a booth there with some scam, with the usual kids in vests calling out to everyone passing by, plus a methed-out "lady" with a wheelchair and a huge collection of junk in bags and boxes and just piled around here, and the standard sign, "HUNGRY HOMELESS ANYTHING HELPS GOD BLESS". Plus it was quite windy.  

The underground parking there in Sunnyvale could become a lifetime gig, kind of like how Leroy kind of owned the spot in front of Johnny Rockets, when Johnny Rockets was a thing. 

And from here it's only 5 hours a day commuting.  Let's say I can busk for 2 hours a day, that makes 7 hours a day of work, for let's say $50 a day. That would put me at a penny under the federal minimum wage of $7.15 an hour. In other words, I'd be living on what most people make in this area. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

A decent busking Friday

 Last night besides photo'ing and listing stuff, I gave myself a haircut and got things ready for an early (for me) day.  I woke up at 3...