Wednesday, February 23, 2022

Life During Wartime

 297th day sober. Last night I'd finished off packing the packages which was mostly just trimming the labels and putting them on. Then I practiced for over an hour, I know, because I did it while watching a documentary that was an hour and 20 minutes or so. I'm finding that playing high notes isn't any harder than playing low ones, it just takes a "knack" which I can do a few times then I have to rest a little then do it again... all in all much easier than playing high notes on trumpet. 

Sure enough, I was up until past 9 in the morning and I woke up at about 4:30 in the afternoon but was not too worried as I had all the packages ready to load and go so I just had coffee and some roasted peanuts and vitamins and was out the door at the usual time. 

I did the drop-offs OK and went around behind H Mart where I snagged a 4-pack of lime Perrier water and some cookie things ... with tuna floss....? And two different flavors the other flavor having tuna floss and ... peas...? Not sure whether to keep or donate these, but it's hard to beat the price. 

I didn't find much for packing materials but the medical place paid off as it so often does. I got a bunch of aspirin and hydrocortisone cream for me, Aleve, ibuprofin and lens wipes for Ken and his family, some burn dressings and ammonia ampules to sell on Ebay, and a bunch of generic company break room type medicines with names like "Pain-Away" to donate. 

There's been someone in their car running the engine nearby but they didn't bother me. Probably too busy trying to stay warm. So no hassles from bums. 

Ken called and said it'd been a long drive back from Las Vegas (they'd stopped for a night somewhere halfway through and there had been a windstorm) and he was tired so he was not coming over tonight. We talked a bit about general things, and he said his daughter's already renting out one of the rooms in her new house, for $600. I went on a bit about how people are always saying Hawaii is so expensive, but prices all over are nuts these days. (In all fairness, it's probably worth the price to live with as nice and mellow a landlord as her, and the guy's occupation of bouncer fits well with Vegas.) Then it was, "See you tomorrow night!" at least he let me know. 

The people at the bank aren't going to see me until Friday, and they're going to wonder where I've been. At least the math will be easy to figure out: Just subtract whatever I've spent and add $950. I had my burger at 5 Guys tonight but tomorrow I'll just cook a curry or something. 

The radio's on continuous coverage by the BBC on the Ukraine situation where apparently the war's started.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's even funnier the 2nd time

 First the pagers, now the radios. It's almost like being a member of Hezbollah isn't a good idea. Lots of discussion on Reddit, nat...