The Nazi regime was horrible, Oh so horrible, that they had a sort of program where, one weekend a month, people were encouraged to have "one pot" dinners, vegetarian or largely so, instead of the end-of-the-week roast or ham etc. The money saved on that dinner was to be donated to aid for the poor.
Hitler was such a cruel, cruel, creep that he instituted early on, something called "Winterhilfe" or "Winter Help" and vowed that no longer would elderly poor die of cold and hunger in the winter.
I'm sorry but I can't imagine Americans cooperating in this way. It's just not a thing in the JewSA. I hear from time to time, of parents going hungry so their kids can eat, but honestly I've never seen it in real life. That's not how American parents operate. The rules in America are, if you're bigger and stronger, you get first pick of everything, and the smaller and weaker have to just try to stay out of the way and get by on what's left.
When my oldest sister, the first born, first encountered rivalry in the form of a sibling, my older brother, she had a 4-year head start so obviously, in American logic, this is why she had a governess, and private schools and pretty much everything. My parents, being bigger and stronger than us kids, never missed a meal while we kids missed quite a few. And my mother, although she always got the best of what we had, didn't eat as well as my father, being biggest, strongest, and the best earner when he could find work.
And one still wonders why Uncle Adolf is being looked at more squarely and honestly by the kids now? This dog-eat-dog American way of doing things makes no sense, and by the time I was in my teens we kids looked out for each other more than our parents ever looked out for us. At least we kids had some of our Folkish instincts intact!
I mainly packed things last night, to get and hopefully stay caught up.
But the main reason for taking the weekend off of busking is I want to get all of my important papers consolidated into this one file folder thing I got at FedEx (they sell a good assortment of office supplies) so all the papers can fit in that, in a backpack along with other important things. Right now the papers are in three Bankers Boxes and most of them need to be disposed of.
I need to be ready to get out of here with a minimum of fuss. Since I no longer drink, there's no longer the chance that I might get really drunk and blurt out my plans, but there's always the chance that Ken might sense something. Or, and this is a bigger worry, that he might bring in some friend to work also and juice up sales, and then I'll have some idiot in here with access to all of my stuff, probably thinking they can boss me around. That would be reason enough to clear out and I mean immediately, to a hotel room, while I round up airline tickets and get rid of things etc.
So the idea is not only to pare down papers, but to pare down personal belongings as much as possible without it being obvious, and have plans in place to dispose of what's left when I fly the coop.
For instance, my bike and trailer will be used to get me with my backpack and suitcase to the Airport Flyer bus stop, where I'll leave the bike + trailer with a "FREE" sign. By that time all over bike stuff will be gone. Before that I'll be using the bike and trailer to run loads of stuff to the sidewalk in front of the Goodwill on 7th street, or maybe just the space by the bridge where I often dump things. Or just run a free ad on Craig's List and tell people a bunch of stuff will be in the parking lot by Watersavers Irrigation.
The suitcase is an interesting subject on its own. I have about 3 of them that I've picked up, and the one I like most is this bright orange plastic American Tourister one that I don't have a key for, but I think the lock on it is a "TSA" lock which means I only need to obtain or make a "TSA" key. I have another that I like fairly well, but it's missing a wheel so I need to either replace the wheel, or set it up with two bumpers so it will have two wheels. It's big and really light. The suitcase will hold my cornet, in its case, and the cornet gig bag, and then whatever space is left can be clothes and stuff.
No comments:
Post a Comment